Primal Habits
It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:30 am

Feed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:57 am 

How to Restore Disk Drive WHS / Windows Home Server

Hi,

I just wanted to share my experience with replacing drives using WHS / Windows Home Server

I follow the following steps:

#1 Remove old Hard Drive / Disk from computer / unit.

#2 Install new / replacement Hard Drive / Disk from computer / unit.

#3 Power up unit with the WHS / Windows Home Server Restore CD in the CD / DVD optical drive.
(At this point the unit should boot from the WHS / Windows Home Server Restore CD in the CD / DVD optical drive)

#4 I watched the following video to see how to perform and finish the WHS / Windows Home Server Disk Drive Restore Procedure.

#5 Enjoy & please feel free to comment :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on TuentiShare on SonicoShare on FriendFeedShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on MySpaceShare on DeliciousShare on Technorati

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:19 am 

How would someone go about replacing a failed disk drive on the WHS | Windows Home Server?
I have a failed disk drive on the WHS | Windows Home Server itself.
Not quite sure what to do?

:D :?: :?: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:58 am 

Sorry it took so long to get back to you Kottonmouth. I've got the flu, so I'm not moving too fast. As long as the failed disk isn't in a RAID array, I would think that Routerhead8080's solution listed on this page would be the way to go. Was that posted after you asked me? If it's an IDE drive, you should make sure the jumper is set to 'Master' and any other drive on the same IDE cable is set to 'Slave'. If it's a SATA drive, you don't have to worry about master or slave settings. If you have data on the failed drive that is absolutely necessary to retrieve and you haven't already backed the drive up, you might try freezing the drive for 24 hours, which might buy you enough time to retrieve the data before the drive goes down again: http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... -data.html If you've got the money, there are data retrieval companies that will get the data back but prepared to pay a steep price for it. LMK.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:40 am 

pavlovdog wrote:
Sorry it took so long to get back to you Kottonmouth. I've got the flu, so I'm not moving too fast. As long as the failed disk isn't in a RAID array, I would think that Routerhead8080's solution listed on this page would be the way to go. Was that posted after you asked me? If it's an IDE drive, you should make sure the jumper is set to 'Master' and any other drive on the same IDE cable is set to 'Slave'. If it's a SATA drive, you don't have to worry about master or slave settings. If you have data on the failed drive that is absolutely necessary to retrieve and you haven't already backed the drive up, you might try freezing the drive for 24 hours, which might buy you enough time to retrieve the data before the drive goes down again: http://geeksaresexy.blogspot.com/2006/0 ... -data.html If you've got the money, there are data retrieval companies that will get the data back but prepared to pay a steep price for it. LMK.

Hello pavlovdog!
Sorry to hear you are sick... "That sucks!"
Thanks for the extremely quick reply!!! :mrgreen:

After doing some further "tinkering" and some research I have found a solution to my issue.
I have yet to loose a disk drive on my WHS | Windows Home Server.
But I wanted to be sure the data is backed up.
I have plans to allow my family to store files on the WHS.
This would give them access to their files from virtually anywhere in the world...

As for my solution...
I found an option in the WHS console to add an external drive to back up the files stored on the whs.
I would imagine this is the same thing as routerhead8080 discusses above.
But for the WHS unit itself versus the WHS backing up a PC.
As for RAID array I am noticing that WHS allows you to duplicate folders.
I am pretty sure this is the only RAID on the WHS system.
But I may be wrong.
I am going to try the external drive option and I will keep you posted on my results :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:02 am 

This WHS - Windows Home Server looks like just what I need for my network.
Thanks for the info!
:D :mrgreen: :D